Illegal for employees to have guns on campus. CTA supported. Security officers will have guns. Will kids be safer or part of a shooting gallery.
Lawyers running amok in California are suing over food
Benedetti v. County of Marin
* Forced Farming
* Permit condition on any new dwellings in the agricultural zone: landowner must be "actively and directly engaged in agricultural use of the property"
* Deprivation of liberty to decide if, when, and how you work
* Could force landowners to give up ownership of their property when they decide to retire
* Willie wants to build a house for his adult son and son's family so he can spend time with grandkids
Santa Barbara Zoning Inspection Report
* Any seller must apply for report within five days of a sale agreement
* City employees with no special training come through house and take pictures
* Compare pictures against (incomplete and disorganized) city records, then place burden on owner to prove structures are permitted if they don't appear in the records
* Is now just a revenue-generating scheme
* General searches without any probable cause are an unreasonable search under the Fourth Amendment
Efforts to repeal Costa-Hawkins
* Heavy new efforts by tenants' rights groups to repeal Costa-Hawkins
* Costa-Hawkins places limits on rent control in California
* A repeal could lead to rent control on new structures (currently only applies to structures built before 1994)
* Repeal could lead to strict rent control (no adjustment of rates to market when units become vacant)
* Rent control is a terrible policy that will exacerbate, not solve, California's skyrocketing prices
* Disincentive to enter the market, create new units, etc.
* Despite the awful precedent and losses in rent control challenges at SCOTUS, it should be recognized as taking huge amounts of property value from landowner and transferring to the tenant
* May also be a violation of due process, because it is a failed policy; it does not substantially advance a legitimate government interest